Friday, August 1, 2014

HP Probook 4510s/Linux-- Random Shutdown Fix

I recently aquired an HP Probook 4510s from a friend. It's a couple years old, but it's pretty solid businesslike style laptop, and in my experience business computers tend to be very reliable, despite that most companies will ditch them after only 3 years. This computer originally came with Vista (yuck), and my friend had been running Ubuntu 12.04. Although this model was offered with OpenSuse Linux as well, it seems that there were intentional bugs in the bios, so it would work almost run perfectly on Linux. I say intentional because that's what I've deduced from examining the ACPI tables that the bios gives Linux, and it collaborates with research I've done as well.

When I first received the computer, I had problems with the machine randomly shutting down on me. (I updated it to Ubuntu 14.04). It was not overheating, and upon examining the dmesg logs I was unable to determine what the cause was, except that I kept seeing messages warning me that the bios was broken, and telling to find an ACPI driver. The random shutdowns are seriously irritating, and eventually the hard disc fried on me, so I had to replace it. I bought a new battery, after doing God knows how many software adjustments, and the issue seemed to have resolved, so I attributed it to a bad battery. However, that is not the case.

I recently reinstalled the OS in order to have an encrypted disk setup with LVM, and to put Ubuntu Gnome on it because Unity sucks and the code is cleaner, the system is less glitchy, and the CPU idles around 5% vs 16% running Gnome over a Unity install. But then the random shutdowns started to happen again! So I set out to figure out which software configuration had fixed the problem. I think I found the solution.

This device has an Intel chipset, with a Core2duo processor and Intel integrated graphics processor. There is now an open source tool available from Intel for identifying and upgrading your graphics driver. This is pretty ground-breaking stuff, because although Intel has always been nicer to the open source community than say, AMD, it's still a rough road when you have driver problems with Linux, as you are often left at the compete mercy of the hardware OEM. But Intel is getting with the times. Anyway, I believe that upgrading the GPU driver fixes this problem! Upgrading the bios did not fix it, and the only drivers I've updated have been the GPU. It's been 7 days since I did the reinstall, and about 4 days since I updated the intel driver's again, and I have been running random shutdown free!

I hope that this helps someone. Please do not go back to Windows because of these issues, leave me a message or check the forums and either I or someone will help you. Going back to Windows is exactly what Microsucks wants people to do. I say f--- that.

4 comments:

  1. Hi I have been trying to get linux mint to install on the 4510s with the same specs as you seem to have on yours. intel chipset and dual core cpu T6570 and 2gb ram.
    I used the trick of keeping the dvd door open until I used the esc key to enter the boot order. Then closed the drive and inserted the dvd into the computer. Then pressed enter and it seemed the dvd was loading linux. After a while even though I could hear the dvd being accessed, the computer went to the hard drive and loaded windows. I can duplicate this time after time but never seem to be able to get linux to load. Do you think I need more ram or is there some other issue in bios. I still have the original bios in there which is 68PZI ver F.06
    I suspect I should update the bios but not sure how far I should go with it; all the way to latest or?
    Any help you can give me would be appreciated, even if only to tell me you did nothing extraordinary to get ubuntu to install.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, yes I know exactly what you're talking about. I thought it was just me! I always had serious problems getting that thing to boot to a disc. Nearly every time I did a reinstall, I had to boot from a USB drive, which works quite well on that system. You can try updating the BIOS, I updated mine to the latest and it did seem to help, although I suspect that the ACPI tables were intentionally broken, or something. Upon resuming suspend, the fan always kicks on full blast, and stays that way till reboot. Very irritating. Anyways, try using a USB to install Ubuntu. That will probably work. Let me know if you need anymore help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your response. I will try that later tonight or tomorrow and see if I can do the update without a problem. Then I will see if things work from Dvd. I will have to see if usb becomes one of the boot options once I do the update to the bios. If it does, then I will use that next.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, you don't have that option? I assume you checked all the advanced & security settings? I had to play with it, there's USB floppy, usb disc, usb hard drive, and maybe some other options in there. I think you want USB Disc.

    ReplyDelete